Monday 13 May 2019

May 13 - "Do you love me?"

On the 3rd Sunday of Easter we heard the Gospel reading from St. John where Jesus, risen from the tomb, appears to the apostles on the shore of the lake where they had been fishing all night without a catch. In that gospel reading there is the well-known interchange between Jesus and Peter where Jesus asks Peter three times if he loves him. Preachers and scripture scholars tell us that this is the point where Peter is not only forgiven for his triple denial of his Lord - also beside a charcoal fire - but that it is also the very point where Peter is given his apostolic mission as chief shepherd of the flock of Christ.

This is all described very poignantly in a reflection by Sr. Mary McGlone SSJ where she points out how we cannot really be used by Jesus in the mission he has for us until we are confronted by our sinfulness and weakness, and brought to a place where we experience forgiveness by the Lord's gratuitous love. She actually titled her post, "Only sinners need apply"
While reading her reflection, an application to Vincentian life and mission leapt out at me. How many times have I passed silent judgement on some of the people I was sent to visit and bring God's love? More than just three times, certainly. Yet, without having gone through what others have experienced, such as addiction, mental health issues, physical and mental pain and illness, traumatic relationships, deprivation, it is arrogant prejudice on my part to pass such judgement.

The gospel reading and the reflection help me realise that Jesus does not rebuke me for these judgemental thoughts; he already knows that I feel ashamed; as Peter said, he knows everything. For each one of these shameful judgements he simply asks, "Do you love me in the wounded and impoverished?" "Do you really love me?"  "Do you love me?"