Tuesday 26 September 2023

The First Orange Shirt

 


#orangeshirtday, #everychildmatters

The story of the "first" orange shirt that gave rise to Orange Shirt Day, as told by Phyllis Webstad, can be found on the web page of the Orange Shirt society.

The beginning of Phyllis' story is reproduced here.

I went to the Mission for one school year in 1973/1974. I had just turned 6 years old. I lived with my grandmother on the Dog Creek reserve. We never had very much money, but somehow my granny managed to buy me a new outfit to go to the Mission school. I remember going to Robinson’s store and picking out a shiny orange shirt. It had string laced up in front, and was so bright and exciting – just like I felt to be going to school!

When I got to the Mission, they stripped me, and took away my clothes, including the orange shirt! I never wore it again. I didn’t understand why they wouldn’t give it back to me, it was mine! The color orange has always reminded me of that and how my feelings didn’t matter, how no one cared and how I felt like I was worth nothing. All of us little children were crying and no one cared.

Click on the link to read the rest of Phyllis' story: https://orangeshirtday.org/phyllis-story/

It is the feast day of St Vincent de Paul on September 27. It is Orange Shirt Day and National Day for Truth and Reconciliation on September 30. What do these two days have in common? The answer is, "Every child matters".

It is well known that St Vincent de Paul had a heart for the poor, but he had an especially big place in his heart for foundlings and orphans. Read about this aspect from the classic The Life of St. Vincent de Paul by F. A. Forbes.